It’s a no-brainer that the most targeted Civil Service Examination requires your undivided attention and preparation.
The Test series not only makes you familiar with the exam structure but fully prepares you by working on every aspect that needs to be worked upon for IAS Exam.
But you may ask, “What is test series in UPSC?”.
Think about why many of the aspirants appearing for the UPSC Mains exam are unable to crack it. The reason is simple: you only focus on study, completion of UPSC Syllabus, and study resources, but lack quality practice!
UPSC Preparation won’t be fruitful if you study without testing your knowledge. Testing yourself for UPSC Exam 2022 is as equally important as preparation.
This blog talks about what is test series in UPSC, how testing is beneficial from the IAS Exam point of view, and how Examarly is helping in test-based preparation for UPSC Prelims 2022.
- Significance Of Test-Based Preparation For UPSC 2022
- How Test-Series Helps In Evaluation?
- How Prelims Test Makes Your Effort Count In UPSC
- How To Decide If Prelims Test Series Are Appropriate?
- How Examarly Helps In Test-Based Preparation
- FAQ Related To Test Series
Significance Of Test-Based Preparation For UPSC 2022
UPSC’s test-based approach offers a lot of benefits that not only boost your confidence and performance but also escalate the possibility of scoring high.
Some of the benefits of test-based Civil Services Exam preparation are mentioned below:
Aid In Completing The Vast Syllabus In Chunks
UPSC Syllabus seems endless if you prepare for IAS or any other UPSC Civil Services Exam without testing yourself frequently.
The cycle of study won’t stop if you focus on study only as there might be a possibility that you may forget the previous one.
In short, you retain less compared to the topics you studied while preparing for UPSC Exam 2022. Testing small portions of the UPSC Syllabus after preparation will be fruitful as this will help you retain these micro topics in your memory.
Thus test-based preparation for UPSC CSE 2022 enables you to cover the entire syllabus in chunks.
Since working aspirants are not able to give the required time as well as attention to their studies, they often wonder how to study for UPSC while working.
Preparation time is less for working professionals. These mock test series of UPSC help them cover the vast syllabus in time.
As frequent tests make you step forward in preparation by monitoring your knowledge in the previous section of the UPSC syllabus. This will help you to acknowledge where you have to focus again on the topics that have already been covered.
In this way, your time will not fly in the air and it will set you in a forward direction.
Enable You To Achieve Targets
Doing a full-time job can take a toll on your preparation. You might not be able to join coaching institutes to help you with your preparation. The test series provides you with time-constrained targets that aid you to cover the entire syllabus in bits.
Lesser time is required to consume such micro targets compared to the bigger ones. This is an advantage to the working aspirants as well as they have limited time for studies due to their work.
If you are able to inculcate the habit of achieving the targets in time, then you are in the right direction for IAS Preparation.
Frequent mock tests of UPSC enable you to stay focused and dedicated to your dream.
Studies cannot be ignored for a single day.
If you are consistent in preparation then it will compensate for almost everything (i.e. compensate for the lack of time, mental pressure that is build-up due to work as well as studies, self-doubt to lack of confidence or de-motivation) and sooner you will be up to the mark to the non-working candidates who studies 12 to 14 hours daily.
Probability Of Scoring High In Exam
Making frequent testing a regular practice enables the IAS aspirants to answer the questions correctly.
This simply means it refrains you from negative marking in UPSC Prelims.
Besides improving your answer-giving ability in explanatory answers, it will improve your score as well as aid you to rank higher than other aspirants in UPSC Prelims.
Frequent tests along with UPSC Preparation are very beneficial. They enable you to learn how much knowledge you have retained so far, and how much you gained while preparing for UPSC Exam.
Continuous practice via tests helps you to retain most of the topics of the UPSC Syllabus in your memory with the examination pattern and performance analysis.
Mock test practice for UPSC provides working aspirants ample amount of practice that balances their work and UPSC preparation. Such frequent tests with an ample amount of questions exercise the brain.
In turn, this improves the capacity of the brain to have more knowledge about what they have studied till then. This means they are not going to forget much-needed information which helps them to perform better.
Practice Sufficiently Through Mock Test Series
“Practice makes perfect”.
Since practice is a key to the door to success, this cannot be taken lightly. The more you practice the more you brush your preparation and the closer you are to the crown of success.
Test series cover the maximum portion of a subject with a good amount of difficult questions too. These mock test question papers provide UPSC aspirants with sufficient practice.
It enables them to work on every aspect of preparation that is needed for the UPSC Civil Services Exam 2022 so that no stone is left unturned.
Mock exams make you familiar with the type of questions asked.
Inculcate The Skill Of Time Management
Continuous practice of mock tests builds up the skill of answer writing (or choosing the apt answer) precisely.
Frequent test series of UPSC copies the knowledge (that you have studied before)in your mind which will enable you to answer instantly without eating up much time.
Time management also helps you get sufficient hours of sleep on a daily basis that you might not get because of your professional life.
How Test-Series Helps In Evaluation?
Test series of UPSC is beneficial to both working professionals and non-working in evaluation in the following fashion:
Identify loopholes in your preparation: Besides inculcating the skills of answer giving, prudently managing time, etc., it also identifies the loopholes in your IAS Preparation by analyzing your performance at different levels of the test series.
Analyze your strength and weakness: Mock test of UPSC provides a required amount of practice and analyses your overall performance at each level of UPSC Preparation. If the questions that you have attempted are wrong, it enables you to learn from your mistakes so that you won’t repeat them in the actual UPSC Exam. Besides this, it will:
- Identify your weaknesses which will help you to know where you have to concentrate more.
- Identify your strength, i.e. it will give you a notion of your skilled areas.
- Monitor your overall performance
- Build up the right strategy: After identifying the loopholes, strengths, and weaknesses. You can set up an IAS preparation strategy to proceed in the right direction so that you can shine in the UPSC Civil Services Exam. In short, the test series of UPSC helps the working aspirants in self-assessment and sets them on the right path so that they can sail smoothly.
How Prelims Test Makes Your Effort Count In UPSC
Test-based preparation for UPSC CSE 2022 or any other exam is effective. It serves the purpose of preparing an aspirant of UPSC for the UPSC battleground.
To succeed in the UPSC 2022 examination, a candidate needs to be in a prime position for it. It is the most rigorous exam in India.
Preparedness is needed for all the elements of the UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Exam when the preparation levels are accelerating.
Tests are beneficial to make your effort count in UPSC CSE 2022 in the following manner:
- Maximum coverage of topics with some questions compiled in a test.
- Helps you to apply your theoretical knowledge and understand the exam pattern.
- It helps you understand the loopholes and weak subjects in your UPSC Preparation.
- Helps you recall the concepts deeper than merely gaining the facts while studying.
- Improves your paper solving speed.
- Helps you to face the challenge confidently and enables you to be calm and poised while attempting the actual UPSC Exam.
- Helps you to stay focused for IAS Exam.
- Helps you to be familiar with the concepts you learned so far.
- Monitor your progress at each level of preparation for UPSC CSE 2022.
- Providing sufficient practice that is important from the UPSC Exam point of view and boosts your confidence level.
How To Decide If Prelims Test Series Are Appropriate?
It is a very good practice to attempt mock test series before sitting in the actual exam. This helps you to get an idea of how difficult the paper is going to be and how much time you should allocate for each question.
So before attempting any test series or choosing your mock exam platform, keep the following points in mind:
- It is prepared by an expert or not: if the mock test series are prepared by experts who have been through the exam themselves, then it will be a good option to attempt. As he knows everything regarding the UPSC Prelims exam, its concept building, and syllabus coverage so he won’t leave anything important.
This indicates that fellow aspirants who are appearing for their first attempt will be able to get an idea about the actual pattern, how difficult the paper is going to be, and how much time they should allocate for each question keeping in mind the time limit.
- The test series must be pocket friendly, else don’t register for it. As it might be probable that it will not be according to your expectations. So always invest in an affordable test series.
- The mock exams are designed according to the pattern of prelims but their difficulty level of questions is high compared to actual prelims exams. Moreover, there are many typos that will only serve as a waste of time for you as you will be spending more time rectifying them rather than attempting them. Many reputed coaching centers provide good quality test series, look for them.
- Whether the prelims test series is a replica of the actual exam or not: Are the selection of questions provided in the mock exams similar to those asked in the actual IAS/IPS exam or not.
Is the level of difficulty and the format of questions also up to the mark as per the actual UPSC Civil Services Exam? Are they replicas of the actual UPSC Prelims exam in terms of difficulty, pattern, the type of questions, and the marking scheme, then go for this test series, else leave it.
- The mock exams are designed according to the pattern of prelims but their level of difficulty is low compared to actual prelims exams. Moreover, there are many typos that will only serve as a waste of time for you as you will be spending more time rectifying them rather than attempting them.
- Consider real testimonials of previous students and refer to some toppers’ interviews. This will help you to understand whether the provided test series is useful or not.
How Examarly Helps In Test-Based Preparation
With Examarly, UPSC aspirants like you can work towards your dream via beneficiary test-based preparation.
You can test your knowledge with practice in not only the static portion of the UPSC Prelims syllabus but also the current affairs section.
We are dedicated to assisting UPSC aspirants in performing better in Civil Services Examinations. Examarly is not just a platform for self-study exam preparation for UPSC examinations; it is a motto that is meant to create success.
Test, a valuable tool, serves the purpose of improving the learning of aspirants. This measures the level of skill that one has achieved in their UPSC Civil Services preparation. In short, frequent tests enable you to tackle the problem in a simpler way.
The thing that hinders you from success is your own fear.
Just win over your fear via test-based preparation and see how you perform well in the most targeted competitive Exam.
In this article, we described what is test series in UPSC, and why to incorporate it in our study for UPSC.
We hope you got your answers.
Q1. How Does The Test Series Analyze Your UPSC Preparation?
The frequent test helps IAS candidates to work on each section. It analyses your whole growth in reference to IAS Exam preparation. For example, this will help you
- In self-assessment
- To recognize your strength as well as your weaknesses
- To understand where you lack
- To learn from your mistakes