For a year-long exam that tests your patience and consistency, it is crucial to have dedication and sufficient time for UPSC. Be it any exam in the country, your ‘will’ is the only factor that keeps you motivated to overcome every challenge that resists you from clearing it.
UPSC Civil Service Exam is one of the toughest exams which needs your attention. Your performance on the exam will suffer if you are unable to sustain your motivation level.
All the civil servant aspirants must keep their eye on the goal just like Eklavya who kept his focus on his aim to target the eye of the fish.
That brings up the question, “How to stay motivated for UPSC preparation?”.
As the good and the bad days are part of life, they will be part of your UPSC civil service preparation life-cycle as well. The key here is to not let yourself get demotivated on days and times when things don’t fall in place because your demotivation directly or indirectly distracts you from studying.
In short, if it is really your dream to crack such a challenging exam, then that dream with long-term motivation’s assistance will balance your two-wheel to lengthen the distance of UPSC preparation and help you to clear all the three phases of the UPSC CSE Exam.
In this article, you will get some simple tips that will help you get motivated for the UPSC Civil Services Exam that will help you enrich your preparation.
- Why do you want to appear for the UPSC Civil Services?
- 3 Strategies on How to Stay Motivated for UPSC Preparation
- 1. How Curiosity Helps Boost Interest?
- 2. How Visualization Leads the Path of Dreams?
- 3. How a Fresh Mind keeps You Motivated for Longer?
- 5 Bonus Tips to Stay Motivated
- FAQs about How to Stay Motivated for UPSC Preparation
- How can I stay motivated during UPSC preparation?
- Why is it always said to set achievable goals while preparing for UPSC?
- Why are creating a study schedule & mixing up routines important?
- Why are taking breaks and prioritizing self-care important during UPSC preparations?
- Why is it suggested to keep limited resources for UPSC preparation?
Why do you want to appear for the UPSC Civil Services?
In the current scenario, these exams have become a necessity for most aspirants. The reason is quite simple. There are many government jobs that are available in different departments such as railways, banks, post offices, and so on. To get such jobs, you need to clear these exams.
So, what are the main reasons for you to take up this exam? There are numerous reasons for taking this exam:
- It will help you get a good job with a decent salary.
- It will enable you to live a comfortable life with your family without worrying about finances which make it one of the best professions out there!
- Even if you don’t get selected right away, it will help you improve yourself and work hard towards achieving better results next time.
Related Article: Time Management For UPSC Preparation.
3 Strategies on How to Stay Motivated for UPSC Preparation
Three easily accessible components that will undoubtedly keep you motivated on a monthly basis as you study for the UPSC Civil Service Exam are:-
- Fresh and Healthy Mind.
1. How Curiosity Helps Boost Interest?
The first and the foremost tip on how to stay motivated for UPSC Preparation is inquisitiveness. Your study keeps you motivated if you have a curiosity to know more. For this, the 3 things mentioned below should be followed:
- Unfold the exam pattern.
- Build a schedule.
- Build a road map.
First of all, to understand the pattern of the UPSC exam one should thoroughly assess the UPSC syllabus and previous years’ papers.
On the second note, build a schedule in such a way so as to cover the vast syllabus of UPSC within a limited period of time so that there is sufficient time in your hand to revise it a couple of times.
At last, make a day-to-day road-map. That means setting mini targets on a daily basis, enabling you to achieve them easily without any hindrance. In this way, you can follow a roadmap to reach your targets by overcoming all the hurdles.
In short, if you have a hunger to unfold the concept it holds, then this will surely keep you on track with your UPSC Exam preparation along with your optional subject.
2. How Visualization Leads the Path of Dreams?
The reason that might create a lack of motivation or diverge you from the path of learning (while covering the UPSC syllabus) are-
- Sometimes UPSC aspirants score less than expected marks in the mock tests.
- Unable to understand any concept or topic.
Instead of feeling low and eventually disinterested, seek help from mentors on such topics to horn your weak concepts. Make a record of the important facts or events related to these subjects in the style of flashcards, flowcharts, and mind maps, or frame them in tabular form for future reference.
Whenever you go through your revision notes or study materials in your leisure time try to visualize them. As research suggests that visualization has a greater impact on our studies. In short, mental practice can take you closer to success.
Imagine yourself as a successful civil service officer while preparing. This strategy works wonders in structuring your approach and attitude towards your UPSC preparation.
3. How a Fresh Mind keeps You Motivated for Longer?
A fresh and happy mind is the last but not the least tip on how to stay motivated for UPSC Preparation.
The question that comes to one’s mind is how one can keep themselves fresh from the inside out, and that too in such a scenario. So the answer for this is-
- Keep negativity at bay: Stay away from the negative people who bring unusual vibes or demotivate you for UPSC preparation.
For example, sometimes your relatives used to criticize your ideas or question your capacity. Even some of your classmates used to pass a remark like speaking this is not his/her cup of tea or mock your dressing sense which hinders your growth process. So making a distance from such people will only aid in your preparation process.
- Stay hydrated with positive vibes: That means think good, think positive, and think that nothing is impossible.
For example, you can play music or read tales of successful people, and UPSC toppers that inspire you or go for a morning walk or any kind of practice that you would like will give you positive energy.
- Healthy routine: When you are mentally as well as physically healthy or are at a higher energy level, your health won’t act as a hurdle in the way of your study routine.
For this do yoga or exercise, stay hydrated, take a sound sleep, arrange for comfortable seating and resist negativity. This will keep your mind fresh and maintain your health as well.
In short, if your mind is fresh or your energy level is higher then you can channelize your energy in a direction of study by resisting boredom or feeling low. This would therefore indirectly motivate you to focus on your UPSC preparation.
5 Bonus Tips to Stay Motivated
Below are the bonus tips on how to Stay Motivated for UPSC Preparation are listed below:
- Motivating Yourself is important: For staying motivated in the journey of your preparation for UPSC, you should not seek other people to motivate you. If anyone is there for you, they might not be available all the time. For being successful you should be self-motivated. It is you who can make everything possible, mostly without anybody else’s motivation.
- Break the syllabus into small chunks and set achievable targets: Small targets, when achieved, can do wonders to instill confidence in you. More confidence will enable you to be more motivated to prepare and be successful.
- Do what you enjoy: Doing what you enjoy is very important to stay motivated. Don’t compare yourself to others and try to do what they do to stay motivated. Everyone is different and so are their way to be motivated.
- Boredom kills your motivation: Whatever you do, you will never be motivated if you become bored while doing it. Don’t let yourself get bored with your studies. Take small breaks and do some extracurricular activities of your choice to kill the boredom before it becomes the killer of your motivation.
- Know your strength: Knowing your strengths can help you very much in your preparation journey. Working and sharpening your strengths will supercharge your motivation and in turn, will help you to be more energetic and motivated while studying. This will ultimately help you to be successful.
Remember, in order to be motivated, only you can push yourself. You could be a student aspirant, a home-maker, or a person preparing for UPSC with a full-time job; and you need to work on the strategy of how to balance your process of preparation on a road of hurdles leading towards achieving your targets.
If you are demotivated, nervous or low on energy then no problem, have a break on that day. But don’t let it be forged into a habit. You can also seek inspiration from motivational quotes.
Always have in mind that this is your dream to be a civil servant in the future. If you get shaken up by such obstacles, how will you maintain your position and carry out your duties effectively?
An allied officer has to go through many ups and downs to work efficiently. So if you aspire to be a successful aspirant of UPSC and a successful officer then you need to prepare like them from now on. Remember this is just a phase of exam preparation. So keep moving ahead, leaving no space for demotivation.
FAQs about How to Stay Motivated for UPSC Preparation
How can I stay motivated during UPSC preparation?
Setting achievable goals, surrounding yourself with supportive people, creating a study schedule, taking breaks and prioritizing self-care, and reframing negative thoughts can help keep you motivated during UPSC preparation.
Why is it always said to set achievable goals while preparing for UPSC?
Breaking the UPSC preparation into small, achievable goals can help keep you motivated and avoid feeling overwhelmed.
Why are creating a study schedule & mixing up routines important?
Sticking to a consistent study schedule can help you stay on track and avoid procrastination while mixing up your study routine, such as alternating between different subjects or studying in different environments, can help keep things fresh and engaging.
Why are taking breaks and prioritizing self-care important during UPSC preparations?
UPSC preparation takes its toll on both mental & physical health.That is why, taking breaks, engaging in physical activity, and taking care of your mental and physical well-being can help you stay energized and motivated for the long haul.
Why is it suggested to keep limited resources for UPSC preparation?
It is suggested in order to keep you away from getting drained & demotivated as the syllabus for UPSC is extremely vast. Working with the right resources will help you learn & retain your best without affecting your mindset.