If you are looking for the definition of the term “adjournment sine die,” you’ve come to the right place. In the legal world, adjournment sine die is a parliamentary procedure that suspends the sitting of a House of Representatives for a day. It’s often used when a bill cannot be decided or debated by a majority of the House.
Adjourned Sine Die, which is detailed in this piece, is part of the UPSC Indian Polity and Governance Syllabus.
- What Is Adjournment Sine Die?
- Application Of Adjournment Sine Die
- Termination Of Parliamentary Session
- FAQ About Adjournment sine die
What Is Adjournment Sine Die?
The term “adjournment” has many definitions. It can refer to several different things, including a temporary suspension of the regular legislative process. Generally, an adjournment means that the House will not come together again for again a specific date.
In the context of parliament, a session is a period between a House’s first sitting and the prorogation or recess, which is the period between the last sitting and the reassembly of the House in the next session. An adjournment sine die refers to ending a case’s hearing or the Parliament’s session for an arbitrary amount of time. Instead, it will reassemble in the future. The presiding officer is the one who must call the next sitting.
A House’s presiding officer can summon a House before the day or hour specified for suspension, or after the House has been adjourned sine die, at any moment.
Application Of Adjournment Sine Die
Adjournment sine die means an indefinite suspension of a hearing. This adjournment method is a convenient way to avoid an impending trial or a lengthy legal battle.
However, the implication of an adjourned sine die may be misunderstood. The term “sine die” implies that there is no specific date to resume a case. It is important to understand how adjourned sine die works, so you know when to use it in a proceeding.
A court can also adjourn a case as Sine Die, which implies that the case will be put on hold until further notice. The following list of possible causes for sine die are:
- The incorrect procedure is followed.
- The proceedings cannot be completed in the near future.
Due to a deadlock in the house’s procedures in the winter session of 2021, the Odisha Assembly session adjourned sine die.
Termination Of Parliamentary Session
The Parliamentary Session in both Houses can only be ended by:
- Adjournment Sine Die
- An adjournment means that work at a session is halted for a set period of time. That could be hours, days, weeks, or months.
- The time of reassembly is given in this instance because an adjournment only ends a sitting, not the session.
- The power of adjournment lies within the presiding officer.
To know more about the adjournment motion click on the linked text What Is Adjournment Motion?
Adjournment Sine Die
- Unlike adjournment, the session is halted indefinitely, i.e. the day for reassembly is not defined.
- Again, the House’s presiding officer has the power of adjournment sine die i.e. an indefinite adjournment.
- Prorogation refers to the termination of a House session by an order issued by the President in accordance with Article 85(2)(a) of the Constitution.
- The notification for the prorogation of a session is announced by the President.
- The president, on the other hand, has the power to prorogue the House while it is in session.
- The prorogation ends the House’s sitting and session and is usually done within a few days of the presiding officer adjourning the House sine die.
- All pending notices, with the exception of introducing bills, lapse on prorogation. After the lapse in prorogation, fresh notices should be given in the next session.
- A recess is a time period between a House’s prorogation and its reassembly.
- When a House is dissolved, the existing House’s life is ended, and a new House is formed after the General Elections.
- The Lok Sabha could be dissolved in one of two methods:
- Automatic dissolution: At the end of its five-year term, or during a national emergency, if the terms are prolonged.
- President’s Order: The President, with the approval of the Council of Ministers, can dissolve the Lok Sabha at any time during the term. The president may dissolve the Lok Sabha if no party is able to form a government after losing confidence in the Council of Ministers. The Lok Sabha is irreversibly dissolved if it is disbanded before the completion of its usual term.
- The Lok Sabha, however, is the only House that may be dissolved. The Rajya Sabha, on the other hand, is not liable to dissolution because it is a permanent House.
If these informative articles interest you, check out many more articles on tips and tricks related to UPSC preparation.
The procedure of inviting all members of Parliament to a meeting is known as summoning. The Indian President should summon each House of Parliament from time to time.
The maximum time between two sessions of Parliament can be six months. To put it another way, Parliament should convene at least two times each year.
In this article, we discussed what adjournment sine die is. We also had a look at the different ways a session can be terminated or paused.
In short adjournment sine die and adjournment motion differs by the time period the session is terminated or paused. Adjournment terminates the session for a definite period of time while adjournment sine die terminates the session without providing any definite time period of a session’s termination.
FAQ About Adjournment sine die
Q1. What Does Sine Die Represent For A Legislative Body?
From a legislative view, sine die signifies the end of a “day less” or “without a day” session. These adjournments are utilized to mark the end of a legislative or yearly house meeting.
Q2. What Distinguishes Adjournment From Adjournment Sine Die?
The term “adjournment of the Parliament sitting” refers to when a Parliamentary session ends and the next session’s timings are announced.
However, it is called Adjournment sine die when it is postponed for an indefinite time period.
Q3. What Does Adjournment Sine Die Signify In Parliament?
Adjournment Sine Die occurs when the House is adjourned without declaring a date for the members to reconvene. It indicates that the meeting will be postponed indefinitely. The presiding officer of the house has the authority of adjournment sine die.
Q4. What Does It Mean To Be A “Failed Sine Die”?
Upon adjournment, all legislation that hasn’t been enacted, vetoed, or failed is considered “Sine Die – Failed.” A bill that has been adjourned “without day” cannot be further processed, and therefore “Failed.”